Our Sister School
Avondale Meadows Academy: An “A” Rated School
Over the past seven years, Avondale Meadows Academy (AMA) has emerged as one of the strongest, most highly regarded elementary schools in Indianapolis. We have received that following ratings from the Department of Education:
- 2013-2014 school year: A rating
- 2012-2013 school year: A rating
- 2011-2012 school year: B rating
- 2010-2011 school year: B rating
In July 2012, the Members of the Board and the leaders at AMA sought to serve more scholars and agreed to start Vision Academy. At Vision we will replicate what made AMA so uniquely successful by combining a rigorous academic program with a positive and structured school culture. We will build on the variety of family supports used in the Meadows to ensure our scholars exceed academic goals. Today, AMA’s wait list reminds us of the demand for quality schooling. Vision Academy @ Riverside aims to meet this demand for an excellent education and serve another 500 or more scholars from neighborhoods across Indianapolis.
A Successful Model
Avondale Meadows Academy began with a mission to provide a strong academic program and a positive school culture and engage scholars’ families in it. As it has grown it has identified the key components to supporting its mission. Vision Academy @ Riverside will replicate using these components:
- High Expectations: From staff to scholars, we are committed to setting big goals and getting measurable results.
- Rigorous, Content-Rich Curriculum: Using the Core Knowledge curriculum, our scholars will read write and discuss their content and their thoughts, preparing them for the rigors of high school and college.
- Maximizing Instructional Time: An extended school day, extended school year, and full-day kindergarten give scholars more opportunities to think, talk, learn, and achieve.
- Positive, Consistent, and Encouraging School Culture: A happy school is a place children want to be. A safe school allows children to think. A school that challenges pushes children to grow.
- High Quality Instruction and Support: Research shows that quality teachers are the single greatest factor in scholar achievement. Our schools support the development of both scholars and teachers.
- Family/Community Involvement: Providing opportunities for families and their communities to get involved gives kids opportunities to interact with a variety of perspectives and personalities. We cultivate family and community involvement because of the learning opportunities it creates for each stakeholder involved.